Skip to main content

2020 Spring Stitching

It has been so long since I made a blog post I almost forgot I still had this blog 😄 Today I am sharing all my spring stitching that I have completed so far during 2020. I may do a bit more (I have a couple of WIPs that aren't completed and that drives me crazy) sometime this year, but I am focusing on patriotic designs at the moment. I am already itching to start some fall and Halloween stitching too! Maybe if I stuck to a regular rotation I would cover all the bases 😂

First up is the Hands on Design More Chocolate Bunnies. I have eyed this pattern since it first came out, but when we got a brown Lion Head rabbit last fall I just knew I had stitch this design! I opted to stitch it on a piece of 28ct Monaco I dyed myself with auqamarine RIT dye and a tad bit of coffee. I did a floss toss with all the called for DMC at Michael's at first, then changed up colors as I thought needed to coordinate with my fabric choice. After I started stitching I scratched most the colors and kept it simple! I did a lot of ripping out stitches both from counting mistakes and deciding I didn't like a particular color. The brown is 3781, two shades of green in 470 & 471, two shades of orange 3853 and 977 and the white is 3865.



I laced the finished piece to one layer of mounting board and one layer of quilt batting between. I attached white mini pom pom trim around the edges. Then I glued a piece of green fabric from my stash on a layer of mounting board. The tobacco basket was a find from Dollar General in 2019 and I have used it for other finishes as well. The bundle of 3 carrots came from Hobby Lobby which I glued a piece of twill tape that I had dyed in aquamarine RIT dye as well.



On the same aquamarine fabric I stitched Spring String by Lizzie Kate. This design I stitched with random DMC in my stash. The purple is DMC 3042, white 3865, turquoise 3766, lighter brown 840, green 988, darker brown 3781 (bird nest was stitched with one strand of 840 and 3781), pink 603 & 604, dark gray for eyes 3799, orange 3853 and yellow 744.




I laced to two layers of mounting board and a layer of quilt batting between. I attached white mini pom pom trim around the edges and then glued to a piece of mounting board with pink gingham from my stash.




The shutter was an Easter decor piece from Michael's I got on clearance for $6. It had a metal sign in the middle I was able to pull off. Then I glued washers and magnets so I can change it out with all the other LK string series. I am looking forward to stitching more of the string series! This is really a fun series. Quick and something easy you can modify by using whatever floss you have in your stash already.


The last piece I stitched on the same aquamarine fabric was Crunch from the What's in My Cup Spring Series by The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch (Priscilla Blain and Chelsea Carter). The original design is shown stitched on black Monaco with a lighter brown rabbit, but once again I had to have a "chocolate bunny" and I thought it would look excellent on the aquamarine fabric. I used Weeks Dye Works Swiss Chocolate for the rabbit, Weeks Dye Works Sally's Sunshine for the flower middles, Classic Colorworks Four Leaf Clover for the green, DMC 3865 for the white, 689 for the pink nose, 3042 for the purple flowers (it called for a blue shade, but I really wanted purple since I have a lot of purple in my spring decor), 3853 for the carrots, 347 for the radish tops and a 935 that I had over dyed with some black for all the back stitching, eyes, lettering and whiskers. The only changes I made to the design was omitting the tail and I also used brown for the detail on the carrots instead of the called for white. My carrots are dirty coming straight from the garden 😉


I mounted the finished design to two layers of mounting board with one layer of quilt batting between. Then attached light pink vintage ric rack from my stash. I covered one layer of mounting board with gray gingham fabric (from Hobby Lobby, they still carry it). I placed it in a wooden tabacco basket I got from Walmart (sometime in 2019). Then I placed a 3 carrot bunch inside (from Hobby Lobby I believe) and glued a piece of aquamarine RIT dyed twill tape on front.

This series is so much fun! I have already stitched up one of their patriotic pieces and planning to do more. Stay tuned for photos of those!


My very good friend, BethAnne, gifted me a subscription to the Punch Needle and Primitive Stitcher magazine this year for my birthday. I was so thrilled! So many beautiful designs in each issue! The 2020 Spring issue was the first issue for the Real Housewives of Cross Stitch to have a new design published in the magazine. It is now confirmed they will have a new design in each issue indefinitely!  Yay! So excited! The summer issue should be arriving in my mail box any day now! This first design is called Spring Tulips. I had plenty of the Chalkboard Black 14 count Aida from the Fat Quarter Shop Chalk Full club left over so that is the fabric I chose.

I used a combination of over dyed floss and DMC. The called for floss color for the tulips was Classic Colorworks Lady Bug which is a red (obviously). However, I don't have any red in my spring decor and only plan to display this design during the spring months so I decided on pink. I used Classic Colorworks Blushing Beauty and thought it was a great shade of pink. I also chose a pinkish-red for the red on the barn and chickens which was DMC 3328. Classic Colorworks Pumpkin Harvest was used for the flower middles. The pattern in the magazine called for red, but Priscillas model piece really looked like it was stitched with orange and that is what I wanted too. The only other over dyed floss I used was for the white which was the called for Gentle Arts Chalk. Then I used DMC 368 for green, 640 and 739 for the brown and beige on the barn and 676 for yellow.

The only change I made to the design was adding the letter "P" to the middle of the window.



After I stitched Spring Tulips, I mounted it to 2 layers of mounting board and a layer of quilt batting. I glued pink vintage ric rac from my stash. I opted just to set the piece inside of this wooden tabacco basket I purchased last year from Walmart. I cut a piece of white burlap to lay in the background. Then I made a simple nest with raffia and eggs from Easter decor. The greenery was boxwood picks from Walmart I had picked up earlier in the year for only 97 cents each.


Next up is the Easter design in the Chalk Full series, Hip Hop,  by Hands on Design and Priscilla Blain. As mentioned before on previous blog posts, I am in the Chalk Full automatic fulfillment club through Fat Quarter Shop. Each time the new design comes out I get the pattern, flosses and fabric shipped to me. All of the floss are called for colors from Hands on Design and the fabric is the Chalkboard black 14 count Aida. I believe the only thing I omitted from the design were the straight stitches to make the bunnies ears look a bit fuzzy.

After I stitched this design  I mounted it to two layers of mounting board and a layer of quilt batting in between. I then glued it to a layer of mounting board covered with gray gingham (from Hobby Lobby. they still carry it). Then I attached this beautiful white floral trim (from my stash, but bought at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago. Don't know if they still sell it) by using straight pins and pushing between the two layers of mounting boards. I made a bow from aqua ribbon purchased earlier this year at JoAnn in their spring section along with pieces of a spring pick. On top of that is a bow from my vintage pink ric rac and a burlap carrot (Hobby Lobby from Easter section). I used magnets to secure it to the mental easel that I have used to display all my finished Chalk Full pieces.

I also stitched the small Hip Hop Chalk Full piece that I attach to my white tiered tray (no pictures of the display this year).



Lastly are two designs from the Tiny Modernist, Easter Chalkboard Greetings. There are 4 designs in this one pattern, but I have only completed 2 so far and 1 more is a current WIP. I stitched these on Chalkboard Black 14 count Aida and used all the called for DMC. I love these! They have a vintage vibe to them and the color combos are just so beautiful. I finished them both the same way with the layer of mounting board, quilt batting and then white mini pom pom trim. Then I attached them to different display pieces.

The Easter Greetings piece I attached to a cute wooden bunny I got after Easter on clearance from Dollar General. It had a tacky bow around it's neck to I took it off and made a bow tie with ribbon I had in my stash. It also had 3 pieces of yucky green yarn for the carrot tops so I replaced that with some of the boxwood pieces from Walmart. I thought it looked much better after my revision! I attached the piece using magnets and washers in case I want to switch out stitched pieces at any time.




The second design, Happy Easter, I attached to a little wooden box I found at Michael's earlier this year on clearance. It was the perfect size for this piece! I attached it with washer and a magnet. Then I filled the inside with greenery held by floral foam. I laid moss on top and glued Easter eggs together in a row of three with a tiny ric rac ribbon bow. 



I show all these pieces (except for the More Chocolate Bunnies. it will be shown on my next Flosstube) in detail on my Flosstube video here:

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel and follow me over at Instagram chari_price:





Comments

  1. Hi Chari, It's Melisa from pinkernpunkinquilting on IG just wanted to tell you how beautiful your stitching and finishes are and loved reading more about each piece. You have had a busy 1st half of the year . Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melisa! Some days I feel like I haven't stitched much, but looking at it all grouped together show I really have. It's amazing how much you can get done stitching here and there though :)

      Delete
    2. All very beautiful and inspiring! I love Easter decor and will have to consider some of these designs for next year. ❤

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post and seeing all your finished finishes. Thank you for taking the time to list all the details and/or changes. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read Robin! Hope you have a fabulous week as well :)

      Delete
  3. Chari! I know I've seen these on your FlossTube, but I loved seeing them again all up close and personal! Your Hip-Hop is just fabulous!! I saved it to my Trello board for finishing ideas for mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! Thanks for stopping by to check them all out! Pictures give you a chance to study over things in detail which can be difficult to do in a few second on a video.

      Delete
  4. You do beautiful finishing - so creative! I just subscribed to get email alerts for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your article. your article is very informative and giving nice information.

    I've seen an internet site that gives me high-quality Cap Digitizing Services at a very affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles.
    business catalyst seo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fat Quarter Shop 2019 Spooky Box Project

I am so excited to share my first quilting blog post! I started quilting almost 4 years ago and have made several lap sized and full sized quilts so far. The Fat Quarter Shop has the most beautiful monthly quilting kits and I am most drawn to the seasonal ones they make for Halloween and Christmas each year. This year I decided to purchase the Halloween Spooky box and I am so glad I did! This year's box included beautiful fat quarters from Riley Blake and an exclusive FQS pattern, Driving Me Batty, to make this super cute bat themed Halloween table runner. Also included in the box was a adorable Meori, an exclusive Bat Binding tool and an iron on label to attach to the finished table runner. The pattern was published in color and very easy to read and understand. The directions showed what sized blocks were to be cut from each fat quarter if you wished to follow the exact look of the model. After I finished sewing the top I quilted the piece using a fabric I had

Hands on Design Chalk Full Small Boo!

I am finally sharing my small Boo! Hands on Design Chalk Full piece! Life has been hectic and I wanted to post this earlier. I am trying to wrap up all my fall and Halloween posts before Thanksgiving, but we will see how that goes 😂 As mentioned in my previous post where I shared my finish of the larger Chalk Full Boo! design, my whole kit came from the Fat Quarter Shop Chalk Full Club. I had made some color substitutions in the larger design (which you can read about here ) and I used the same color changes in the smaller design as well. I really enjoyed stitching this smaller piece! Note I forgot to fill in the green on the pumpkin stem. I may get around to going back and filling that in, but maybe not 😉  After stitching the small Chalk Full Boo I mounted it to a piece of PresOn self adhesive mounting board then hot glued black mini pipping around the edges. I found this super cute vintage jack-o-lantern at Dollar General for $3.50. I love his black and white legs!